I just missed posting within the week by 1 day! Blame work – I have to pay for this hobby somehow 😉
About those pockets. (Refer to part 1 for an intro to this jacket!) It was my first time with lined pockets – the linings were knit first and placed on holders, then when I reached the appropriate length on the body, I put some body stitches on a holder and knit across the still-live stitches on the pocket linings, and continued across the body. After the body was complete, I went back and picked up the live body stitches, knit a few rows, and bound off.
Then I had to finish the linings. Sewing the lining to the body seemed daunting, at first. The Knitter’s Book of Finishing Techniques, by Nancie Wiseman, suggested to steam the linings so they would lay flat, then baste them down, and then stitch them down. Well, as someone that avoids gauge swatches on about every project, there was no way I was going to invest that time into two little linings (and I had my fingers crossed that I wasn’t making a mistake by not following those suggestions!). It wasn’t the instructions’ fault; they were very well written, and I’m sure the end results were fabulous. However, I like to knit dangerously, I suppose…
Luckily, they turned out pretty good (if I do say so myself!).
So here’s my tutorial of how I sewed the linings. I matched the edges to the running yarn between two columns of stitches; sewed the lining down and then across. Then, I started with a new piece of yarn on the other side of the lining at the top, and sewed down that side to meet with my other yarn tail in that bottom corner.
Step 1: I went through the outer half of the Stockinette stitch “V”, going from the pocket towards the column of stitches I was following on the body.
Step 2: I went down and caught the running strand of yarn between two stitches on the body that was even with the lining’s edge.
Step 3: I went back through that same V half I came out on the lining of the pocket.
Finally, I repeated the above 3 steps but went down into the next outer V half on the pocket edge, and into the next running yarn between the two stitches on the body.
Sometimes I had to go down through two running yarn pieces on the body to ease things together, or didn’t go back through the same V half as step 3 shows; I went through the next V half, below where I just was.
When I reached the bottom and sewed across, I didn’t make the lining lay flat; instead, I left it bulging out slightly to account for items that will be placed in these pockets (flat pockets ain’t gonna hold anything useful).
Step 1: Now these photos show the other pocket, so I am going from right to left after finishing the sewing of the right side of the lining. I matched up purl bumps, and sewed through every other one on the pocket and the body (this is similar to how I weave in my tails!).
Step 2: After coming out of the lining stitch (or body), then I’d skip one bump and go through the next bump.
So there you have it, folks. Hopefully someone out in the cyberspace world will find this helpful (and understandable!).
Next to come – sewing the sleeves to the body!